Open / Arena
- Room 1 is the part of ourselves that ==we and others see.==
- The open area is that part of our conscious self-our attitudes, behavior, motivation, values, way of life-that we are aware of and that is known to others. We move within this area with freedom. We are "open books"
- Room 2 contains aspects that ==others see but we are unaware of==.
- Adjectives not selected by subjects, but only by their peers go here. These represent what others perceive but the subject does not.
Façade / Hidden
- Room 3 is the private space ==we know but hide from others.==
- Adjectives selected by the subject, but not by any of their peers, go in this quadrant. These are things the peers are either unaware of, or that are untrue but for the subject's claim.
- Room 4 is the unconscious part of us that ==neither ourselves nor others see==.
Adjectives that neither the subject nor the peers selected go here. They represent subject's behaviors or motives that no one participating recognizes—either because they do not apply or because of collective ignorance of these traits.
- Assertiveness – Capacity of being self-assured without being aggressive to defend a point of view
- Shadow – Term in Jungian psychology